Are you looking to transition away from rice to more nutritious whole grains? Walking down the grain or bulk aisle of the grocery store can be overwhelming. There are so many options and so many grains that you’ve never heard of! What isn’t evident at first glance is how easy many whole grains are to cook, and how delicious they can be. What can be tricky is texture. Many grains have a rice-like texture, like bulgur wheat, freekah and farro. Quinoa’s texture can be a little hard for some, but combining it with other grains that cook in a similar amount of time is a great way to begin introducing quinoa to your family. Millet is a small, round grain so it’s texture can vary from a bit fluffy to creamy. Quinoa and Millet are also gluten free and alkaline grains, and I love combining them for veggie burgers. Let our products be your whole grain starter kit. Try our Whole Grain Pilafs – a mix of bulgur wheat and quinoa or our Gluten Free Whole Grain Pilafs – a mix of millet and quinoa.
Here’s a fun recipe – try our Freekah-good Mexican Casserole! It’s a great Meatless Monday dish or you can add chicken – it’s up to you!
- 1 cup freekah
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can or 2 cups of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 2 cups spinach or kale, chopped
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1 package frozen corn
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 8 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
- Bring 2 cups vegetable broth to a boil and add freekah. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Cool.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Saute onions, in olive oil, until translucent. Add scallions, jalapeno and garlic. Saute until fragrant. Remove from heat.
- In large bowl, add freekah, black beans, tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, spinach, scallions, garlic and cumin. Mix well and add 1/2 of the cheddar cheese.
- Grease 9×13 baking dish and add freekah mixture. Top with cheddar cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil for last 10 minutes of cooking.