Summer is my favorite time of the year. I love the long days and the sunshine. I love that life slows down just a bit so we can enjoy it! I love spending more time outside. We are a lot more relaxed. And I love that it is easier to eat better!
I don’t know about you, but I tend to shop differently during the summer. I don’t like heating up the kitchen so I use my slow cooker and instant pot a lot. I make a lot of salads. I keep the fridge stocked with things like quinoa and wheatberries, grilled chicken, beans, lettuce, carrots, fruit. We eat a lot of grain bowls, like this Santa Fe Burrito Bowl.
Here are a few tips to keep eating healthy this summer:
- Chia Seed Pudding with Fruit makes a great breakfast on hot mornings and it’s so easy to make ahead for the week! Check out this list of delicious Chia Seed Pudding Recipes!
- On the go? Hummus, bell pepper strips, carrots, frozen grapes and blueberries, apples, granola, nuts, water. Add a fun cooler, like this one, and you’re all set!
- Going to a BBQ get together? Bring one of your favorite healthy salads. OurCilantro Lime Santa Fe Salador Garden Salad with Artichoke Hearts & Sundried Tomatoes are crowd pleasers.
- Always pack a water bottle. It’s important to stay hydrated on hot days. Don’t love water? No worries! Find a cute water bottle (I am obsessed with this one) , fill it with water and couple slices of lemon and mint. Easy!
- Eat lots of salad. Salads are the perfect go to summer meal – you can prep all the ingredients and stock the fridge. They are easy to throw together and don’t require cooking! Check out some of these recipes – they look delicious!
- Make your own salad dressing. It’s easy, I promise! Here’s the basic recipe: 2T vinegar (apple cider, red wine, white wine), 2 tsp stone ground or dijon mustard, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/3 cup olive oil. I like to add minced garlic or Italian herbs as well. Customize it. Make it your own.
- Enjoy the summer produce. Watermelon, berries, cucumbers, eqqplant, sweet onions, tomatoes, zucchini, squash, etc. Make awatermelon gazpachoor grilled squash salad.
- Beans, beans, beans. Beans are so perfect to enjoy in the summer. You can cook a batch in your slow cooker and make a bean salad. My favorite bean salad is as simple as this: white beans, sweet onion, balsamic vinegar. Here’s one I’m going to try tonight.
- Make your own popsicles. I promise they are easy! And so delicious!Here’s a few combinations you’ll love!
- Get outside. Enjoy nature. Hike to a waterfall and play in the water. Be mindful of the sun. Have fun with your family. Catch fireflies. Make a bon fire. Be free.