Summer is my favorite time of the year. I love the long days and not being so scheduled with school and bed time. I love that activities have slowed down. I love that they can make their own breakfast and lunch. I love spending more time outside. We are a lot more relaxed. But being more relaxed can lead to poor food choices if we aren’t careful.
I don’t know about you, but I tend to shop differently during the summer. I don’t like heating up the kitchen so I use my slow cooker a lot. I make a lot of salads. I keep the fridge stocked with things like quinoa and wheatberries, grilled chicken, beans, lettuce, carrots, fruit. We eat a lot of grain bowls, like this Santa Fe Burrito Bowl.
Here are a few tips to keep eating healthy this summer:
1. Smoothies make a great breakfast on hot mornings! Check out this Make ahead Smoothie Prep.
2. On the go? Pack a cooler. Hummus, bell pepper strips, carrots, frozen grapes, apples, granola, nuts, water.
3. Going to a BBQ get together? Bring one of your favorite healthy salads. Our Cilantro Lime Santa Fe Salad or Garden Salad with Artichoke Hearts & Sundried Tomatoes are crowd pleasers.
4. Always pack a water bottle. It’s important to stay hydrated on hot days.
5. Eat lots of salad. Salads are the perfect go to summer meal – you can prep all the ingredients and stock the fridge. They are easy to throw together and don’t require cooking!
6. Make your own salad dressing. It’s easy, I promise! Here’s the basic recipe: 2T vinegar (apple cider, red wine, white wine), 2 tsp stone ground or dijon mustard, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/3 cup olive oil. I like to add minced garlic or Italian herbs as well. Customize it. Make it your own.
8. Beans, beans, beans. Beans are so perfect to enjoy in the summer. You can cook a batch in your slow cooker and make a bean salad. My favorite bean salad is as simple as this: white beans, sweet onion, balsamic vinegar. Here’s one I’m going to try Triple Bean Salad tonight.
9. Make your own popsicles. I promise they are easy! And so delicious! Here’s a few combinations you’ll love!
10. Get outside. Enjoy nature. Hike to a waterfall and play in the water. Be mindful of the sun. Have fun with your family. Catch fireflies. Make a bon fire. Be free.